Shopping Cart

Your shopping cart is empty
Visit the shop

Categories
  • History Of Rodbourne (1)
  • Uncategorized (1)
Recent Comments

Archive for the ‘St John Ambulance’ Category

GWR Mechanics Institute Reading Rooms, Rodbourne Road

ID Number – 455.107

Image No – img159

Subject – Reading Rooms

Date – 2006

Donor – RogersStan

Street – Rodbourne Road

Location – Front & Side Elevation

Additional Info – On 8 January 1844 the Great Western Railway Mechanics’ Institution was formed ‘for the purpose of disseminating useful knowledge and encouraging rational amusement amongst all classes of people employed by the GWR Company at Swindon’. Originally accommodated within the works, the institution moved in 1855 to a permanent building in the railway village.

At its heart was a library, whose membership rapidly grew leading to branches opening in Gorse Hill and Rodbourne.

The Rodbourne branch was built in 1904 and became known locally as the Reading Rooms. The ground floor consisted of a reading room, hall, office and yard, and on the first floor there was a games room.

The building is presently occupied by the North Wiltshire branch of the St John’s Ambulance Brigade. Evening Brigade meetings and daytime First Aid courses for companies in the North Wilts. area are provided.

E. Shepherd’s St. John Ambulance First Aid Certificate

ID Number – 1085

Image No – img600

Subject – St John Ambulance Association & Brigade First Aid Certificate

Date – 1972

Donor – ShepherdHazel

Street – Rodbourne Road

Presentation of cufflinks to Ernie Hunt at St Johns Ambulance Nursing cadets fair

ID Number – 519

Image No – ID519

Subject – Presentation of cufflinks to Ernie Hunt at St Johns Ambulance Nursing cadets fair

Date – ?

Donor – HuntErnie

Street – ?

Group Activity – St John Ambulance

Sport – Football

visits since 9 March 2009