Shopping Cart

Your shopping cart is empty
Visit the shop

Categories
  • History Of Rodbourne (1)
  • Uncategorized (1)

Archive for the ‘Rodbourne Methodist Church’ Category

Short History of Rodbourne Road Methodist Church by Brenda Hedges nee Berry

The first service was conducted in the open air on May 11th 1879. Marc Watts of 5, Windsor Terrace and John Curtis also held meetings in their homes. Special services were held in Whiteman’s cart shed. The church was formed in 1882 with 7 members. As the need for a permanent site became obvious a field was purchased for £30. The first chapel for the “Primitive Methodists”, later known as the ‘Schoolroom’, was built at a cost of £321 and dedicated in 1884. To meet the needs of the area and the continued growth the larger church was built in 1900 at a total cost of £1479.

During the Second World War the old school room was used by the Ministry of War

and in consequence groups such as the Christian endeavor held their meetings in the Baptist Chapel now the Iris Redmund Gardens sheltered housing complex the other side of Bruce street bridges.

The foundation stone for a New Church Hall was laid by Alderman F.E.Ackers on Saturday, August 31st 1957. The occasion included a tea costing 1 shilling and 3 pence. The building was officially opened by Counsellor H Diment, the Mayor of Swindon, on March 22nd 1958. This too was followed by a tea.

By the turn of the century the church was in a poor structural condition and it was agreed that the building should be pulled down and the New Hall be refurbished to a church building to accommodate the current needs. The last service was held on January 5th 2003.  Mrs. Jones Allen was the preacher. The work was scheduled to start on 13 January 2003. The building was reduced to rubble and where the church stood is now a car park. When the work was complete the small dedicated congregation paired the building for its reopening. With all the cleaning done, everything back in place, the project was complete. This service of rededication of the newly reordered premises was held on June 8th 2003 at 3pm. The service was conducted by the minister Rev Janet Evans and the preacher was the Superintendent Minister Rev Derek Collins. Members from Rodbourne, St Andrews Moredon, Tony Attwood and members from St Augustine’s, representatives from the architects and Redstone construction all made contributions to the service. In true Rodbourne attrition the service was followed by most enjoyable tea. The building is an attractive one, it easier to maintain and less costly to run. The windows designed by Alex Mulhall and the gardens surrounding the entrance and car park had to its attraction.

Rodbourne Playgroup’s Queens Jubilee Celebrations

 

Group Photo info – 2nd from left, Paul Nesbitt, 3rd Ian Appleby, Others unknown

ID Number – 391

Image No – img125

Subject – Queens Jubilee Celebrations

Date – 1977

Donor – ApplebyDelcia

Street – Hughes Street

Location – Even Swindon School Playground

Group Activity – Royal Celebration Tea Party

Playgroup – Rodbourne Playgroup

Houses opposite the old Methodist Church, demolition near completion

ID Number – 041

Image No – img266

Subject – Houses opposite the old Methodist Church, demolition near completion

Date – circa 1969

Donor – HarrisMrAF

Street – Rodbourne Road

Location – Rodbourne Road

Church/Chapel – Rodbourne  Methodist Church

Houses opposite the old Methodist Church

ID Number – 039

Image No – img257

Subject – Houses opposite the old Methodist Church

Date – circa 1947

Donor – HarrisMrAF

Street – Rodbourne Road

Location – Rodbourne Road

Church/Chapel – Rodbourne  Methodist Church

Houses opposite the old Methodist Church, demolition just commencing.

ID Number – 040

Image No – img046

Subject – Houses opposite the old Methodist Church, demolition just commencing.

Date – circa 1969

Donor – HarrisMrAF

Street – Rodbourne Road

Location – Rodbourne Road

Church/Chapel – Rodbourne  Methodist Church

Rodbourne Methodist Church

ID Number – 455.109

Image No – img160

Subject – Rodbourne Methodist Church

Date – 2003?

Donor – RogersStan

Street – Rodbourne Road

Location – Rodbourne Road

Church/Chapel – Rodbourne Methodist Church

Rodbourne Methodist Church

ID Number – 455.108

Image No – img162

Subject – Rodbourne Methodist Church

Date – 1900

Donor – RogersStan

Street – Rodbourne Road

Location – Rodbourne Road

Church/Chapel – Rodbourne Methodist Church

Rodbourne Methodist Church before demolition

ID Number – 275

Image No – img015

Subject – Rodbourne Methodist Church before demolition

Date – circa 2002

Donor – MillsMr

Street – Rodbourne Road

Church/Chapel – Rodbourne Methodist Church

Rodbourne Methodist Church before demolition (side view)

ID Number – 276

Image No – img014

Subject – Rodbourne Methodist Church before demolition (side view)

Date – circa 2002

Donor – MillsMr

Street – Rodbourne Road

Location – Junction of Rodbourne Road and Romsey Street

Church/Chapel – Rodbourne Methodist Church

Demolition of Rodbourne Methodist Church

ID Number – 277

Image No – img013

Subject – Demolition of Rodbourne Methodist Church

Date –2003

Donor – MillsMr

Street – Rodbourne Road

Location – Junction of Rodbourne Road and Romsey Street

Church/Chapel – Rodbourne Methodist Church

Additional Info – The Church Hall is shown in the back ground being converted into the new church.

visits since 9 March 2009